Birds make the most comforting companion for any family. From the cheerful chatter of budgies to the low whistling of finches, the cooing of cockatiels and the shrill calls of conures, birds are destined to add a sparkle and smile to your day. From aviary birds to hand reared birds they give colour, entertainment and companionship. We absolutely adore birds at our store and promote active rehabilitation and rescue of large and small parrots that have been abandoned/abused.
Different species of birds have longer lifespans and it is important that you recognise whether you will be able to take care of that bird, especially where you are looking to buy or adopt a parrot that has an average lifespan of about 25-50 years on average.
- Require a large enough cage, birds need to able to at a minimum be able to spread their entire wingspan and not obstruct their open tail against bars.
- A blanket to cover the entire cage at night.
- Quiet room at night, i.e. a bird cage should not be in the lounge where you are watching TV.
- Cover from direct sunlight and drafts during the day especially if the cage is outside.
- Mineral block for reducing the beak.
- Mineral sticks with grit for declawing the claws of birds.
- Ensure fresh water and fresh food daily where you are feeding either egg food or fresh chop.
- Replace seed at least every second day.
- Clean the cage every 3rd/4th day.
- Access to bath bowl especially on hot summer days.
- Toys against boredom.
- Variety of different sized perches-sekelbos perches are an absolute must, even if you have a budgie for perching and health of your bird’s feet.
- Where you have a hand reared bird-clipping of wings is advised to prevent loss of the bird.
- Companionship, either by another bird companion or your personal attention.
- Ensure you give your birds supplements and deworm them at least once a year or when showing symptoms of ill health.